Monday, November 03, 2008

Denveraholic.....

Well...a couple days ago I got back from my 3rd trip of the year to Denver! I simply LOVE that place with close to all my heart! My former intern Laura and I headed out last Thursday for a quick little trip there to chill, take a million pictures and attend a Western Elegance Fundraiser for Volunteers of America! It was an INCREDIBLE trip...I was pretty much freaking out the whole time with the beauty of the mountains, the shopping, and the art scene....each time I go I experience a new side of this place! I love it!Back in January, if some of you remember... I headed out with 6 of my favorite photographer girls to Denver and Vail for a week long retreat...to relax, get to know each other more...and to give back to the community! The first two days we documented Volunteers of America's - Denver projects! It was one of the most inspiring and eye opening projects that I've done! I left knowing that THAT is really what it is all about! A couple weeks later as I had the assignment of slideshow maker for the group I put a little slideshow together for VOA to see and use if they would like....well....did they USE it!! :) They've been distributing it to a lot of their big donators and such.... which was incredible in itself! A couple months ago though...Jim White one of the directors over at VOA who we had worked on the project with contacted me saying that they were planning on showing the slideshow at their biggest fundraiser of the year and that he wanted to fly me out there to see it in action! WOW. I was sooooo honored to attend.... definitely a highlight of my life as there were probably around 2000 people there all watching the show, crying, and being moved so much to donate that I heard later on that is was the biggest response they'd ever received after the show! Gosh I was crying! It's incredible sometimes what we take for granted as just a simple little project becoming something that makes SUCH an impact! My amazing friends are really what brought this whole thing together....Jenna Walker, Shyla, Liana, Crystal Goss, Amy Nave, and Jasmine Star!!! I am so proud of everything that they've done! If you haven't seen the show check it out here
....and here are some fun pics from our adventure this time!Above are some pics from where we stayed and around town....Laura's awesome friend Amie lives pretty close to downtown Denver in this really artsy area, walking into her house was like walking into an Anthropologie ad! I LOVED it! The first morning we had to get up SO early to catch our flight that once we arrived we were ravenous...we found the best little retro breakfast place called Snooze!
How awesome is this sign that I saw on the side walk....just a random DEAD cigarette laying right there perfectly too! ha!
Laura and I had really NO clue what to wear to this "western elegance gala" that we were going to! Thankfully Amie's roomate Virginia was a big time vintage dress shopper and let us use whatever of her clothes we wanted!! I think we were pretty much the epitome of western elegance and a tad bit...little house on the prairie;)
Some country singer was there named Dierks Bentley?? I'm not really sure who he is...but Laura and I thought he was quite attractive so we decided to take pictures to kill some time....
Here is while the slideshow was playing....afterwards they brought up a childrens choir to finish singing the "Go light your world" song from the slideshow! It was UNREAL! I can't believe that this is part of my job!

Ok....I gotta run...still in my PJ's...and running shoes are calling me!! Plus I should probably be a nice friend as I'm in DC right now hanging with my OLD intern Kristen....more on THAT coming soon...but I may just wait a week to post that... just to add to the excitement...;)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you'll soon to come know ALOT about Dierks Bentley since you live in Nashville now! Very popular guy these days. (I live right outside of Nashville)

Test said...

You're so cute! I love watching your life unfold!

Heather

Shyla said...

I just got goosebumps!!!
ahhhh! I so wish I could have been there... :(
you don't know who Dierks Bentley is? oh man... I totally should've gone simply to educate you

;P

Natalie said...

AHHHH I love the pics!! and they totally make me miss you and greg SO much! ;)
love you:)

Mary Marantz said...

You are EVERYWHERE my friend!! I am so proud of you and the things you are doing in this world. "You're going to speak to nations."!!! I have no doubt!

Sarah Bearah said...

Holy COW!!! You saw Dierks Bentley?!!?! Oh, my goodness! So jelious!!

Jasmine said...

Love you!! Thanks for being such an awesome representation of our friendship and committment to giving back! :)
xoxo...

dartphoto said...

Just got a picture message from my parents, eating breakfast at Snooze! haha. I love this post and everything about our trip! I hope that you are having a great November break:) Miss You! Let's talk soon!
p.s. one of greg's songs is going to be on 90210 on Nov 18th!